Program Highlight – The Senator Philip D. Lewis Center
When you are in a situation of facing homeless, especially if you have a family that is relying on you, it can be an extremely stressful time. Where do you go? Who do you contact? What steps can you take to find stabilization for you and your family? Adopt-a-Family hears you and understands that it can be a big challenge to get back on your feet. That is why we got connected with The Senator Philip D. Lewis Center, to better serve the families in our community to have the assistance they need to reach those goals of stabilization and sustainability.
The Senator Philip D. Lewis Center (Lewis Center) is the centralized point-of-entry for families and individuals experiencing homelessness in Palm Beach County. We are a proud Lewis Center partner, and serve as the lead agency for families who are homeless and in need of stable housing. Through assessment, housing placement, and comprehensive case management, the Lewis Center team provides critical resources to our community’s families who are most in need.
Rapid Rehousing Program:
- It is a model used nation wide, based on housing first model. It is an intervention that offers a temporary housing solution along with a declining subsidy
- On average, there are 125 families that we house each year through that intervention.
- 86% of the families served become self-sufficient and don’t require our services after one year.
- Data shows that the longer you have been out on the street, the worse you’re gonna fair. We prioritize based on how long you’ve been out and focus on getting you on track as soon as possible.
Lewis Center Facts:
- Even if there are no program openings immediately, we can still start the process for you; and while you are in the waiting period you will have access to the clinic, donations, shower and laundry facilities, etc.,)
- Did you know that The Lewis Center has an on-site Clinic that is available to anyone who is a part of the programs offered here?
- The Lewis Center is an “umbrella” for everyone. We put a lot of services (rental assistance, homeless services, etc.) under one roof and are able to assist families in many different facets and get them connected to the proper resources.
- Adopt-a-Family, through The Lewis Center, is able to offer Motel vouchers for families that request assistance. Another service we can refer them to is an AAF program called REACH, which has nineteen units for low-income families to reside in while they search for employment or services needed to get back to self-sustainability.
- At any given point, we can have up to 45 families sheltered with an average of 20 families that are waiting for shelter placement.
How can you help?
Donations. The biggest needs we are seeing:
- Nonperishables that do not require a can opener
- Peanut butter, crackers, nuts/trail mixes, cereal, granola bars, dried fruits, powdered milk, multivitamins
- Baby items
- Baby food, Diapers all sizes, baby wipes
- Men’s clothing
- socks, underwear, dress & casual tops & bottoms, shoes, belts
- Household Cleaning Supplies
- Brooms, mops, dust pans, dusters, all-purpose, window, floor and bathroom cleaners, dish soap, laundry soap, fabric softener, dryer sheets, trash bags, paper towels
- Kitchen Supplies
- Pots & Pans, Dishes, Silverware, Utensils
You can drop off donations any day of the week during business hours.
Address: 1000 45th St, West Palm Beach, FL 33407
Phone: (561) 904-7900